My second attempt was still too large but I finally figured out that this skirt sits just below the waist so it is definitely salvagable. I intend to use buttons as a closure rather than the satin blanket binding I used in my first attempt. This fabric is really lovely... a mid-weight denim embroidered with faded thread used for jeans construction. I haven't found the right buttons yet but I know they are somewhere in my stash.
My third attempt is definitely a keeper. The fabric was bought last year for a light-weight coat but I like this application better. The base white fabric is slightly stretchy and the embroidery and raw edge cutouts are not. I don't think the difference in stretchiness makes any difference in this application but it might in something with sleeves or pockets than canbe pulled out of shape. This time I measured very, very carefully, added a couple of extra darts than the pattern called for and used a squiggley stitch pattern to attach the satin blanket binding. I think I could even make this someone else and have them end up happy.
This pattern has been a real learning experience for me as I created the skirt based on written directions rather than by enlarging a printed pattern. The skirt has nice drape and now that I know I can really do this pattern making business I think I can adjust it to a standard A-line skirt with a regular waistband and pockets without too much trouble.
Trust me to finish this up on the last day of the challenge!