Last October I wrote about the 1600" quilt concept. If you don't remember that far back you can check it out here.
Go ahead and look at it now, I'll wait for you to get back.
That quilt was not a real 1600" quilt but it paid homage to the concept.
This past Saturday the Strip Club decided that we would all work on genuine 1600" quilt tops and even make it into a race.
The race part never really happened as we were very distracted by all the great food everyone came with including ribs from Sweet Sadie's. Yum, Yum!
I did get my top done and this how it turned out:
This time I did use a real jelly roll of forty different 2 1/2" strips called a Bali Pop in the Coconut colorway. It came out to approximately 66" x 50", a good size for a lap quilt but I wanted it to be a bigger 'snuggle up on the couch with two dogs' size. So at the same time as I bought the Bali Pop I also bought a few possibilities for borders as all the batiks were on sale for $6.99 each... a real bargain these days.
Here's how the chosen border fabrics will not work with this quilt:
Actually I can't show you the border choices because Blogger and Google want to charge me for photo storage....WTF!
Take my word for it though, I am either going color blind or choosing border fabrics before a top is completed is never a good idea.
As my chosen border fabrics do not seem to be working I have two other possibilities I may try. One is to border the whole thing in plain black with black binding so that it looks like a frame for the colorful strips. The other is to experiment with bleaching out some of the black fabric that I have to see if any of it can be used as a wide patterned border of black and cream with a thin solid black first border and solid black for the binding.
Not sure how it will all work out but I am very pleased with how the top turned out and know that this will be a technique I will use again and again and again.