Sunday, June 15, 2008

Bitten

I was in Steve and Barry's the other day abd saw a really cute sun dress in the Sarah Jessica Parker Bitten area. It looked a little tiny on top but the fabric had a wonderful print. As I am always looking for sun dresses to wear around the house or while working in the yard, I thought I would give it a try. You can see the whole line here and, if you do go to the site, you will see that this little sun dress is shown with two t-shirts under it. I can see why you would need the t-shirts but it seems to defeat the purpose of wearing a light weight summer dress to weigh yourself down with additional layers. Here's a picture of the sundress by itself.
As you can see the bodice is extremely tiny ... way too small to contain me but I still liked the border printed, light wieght, cotton fabric. And there is lace trim along the bottom for a nice girly touch. And it is fully lined so there is no annoying show-through in the sun. I decided to redo the dress as a skirt as the band under the bodice was close to my waist size. It was a simple change. I removed the bodice, shortened the side zipper and added a closure at the waist band. I kept the tie belt at the same length which ties around my waist about three times. I may remove it later so I can wear a t-shirt without having to tuck it into the waistband but I am keeping my options open.

BTW - everything at Steve and Barry's these days is priced at $8.98 per item so this little skirt cost me less than $10.00 and about twenty minutes at the sewing machine. Not a bad deal.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

A Steve & Barry's recently opened near us and I heard about the everythign $8.98 thing - I am going to have to go check them out!