Monday, June 9, 2008

That's Sew Wrong!

That's the name of a Michael Miller Fabric I picked up a while ago. It is one of those 'conversation' prints that are fun to have but you never know what to do with them. This fabric, however, has really sparked my interest and I have several projects lined up for it. Or rather, I will be doing a lot with it until the three yards I have of it runs out. Here's my photo of the fabric:
and here is the MIchael Miller Fabric website showing all three color ways. There are few images on the fabric but the ones they have are priceless. Right now I feel like the sewing machine repair guy with the sledge hammer and I know I made that wonky blouse in a previous life. My first project was to recover my cheapo Ikea backup sewing chair. You can see a similar one here. I don't use this chair a lot but it is out in public quite a bit and the sickly blue fabric it was covered in was really beginning to bug me. Today was the day to use the new fabric. I think it definitely brightens up the place:
I cut off the original fabric for the back rest to use as a pattern. The original fabric was so securely attached to the core of the chair that I could not remove it all . I ended up attaching the new fabric cover by hand slip stitching it onto the back rest. The seat cushion would not come off the legs so I ended up tracing the shape on the fabric, sewing it up and then hand stitching it to the bottom of the seat. This is not the best reupholstery job in the world but the final product makes me smile a lot.

I really need to get moving on my Gabrielle Swain design but, frankly, I am a little hesitant to actually start getting the applique fabric prepared for the design I created. Tomorrow is another day and I will try NOT to avoid the issue much longer. After all, with all the really bad sewing projects I have shown on this blog this one could just join the roll call of great ideas gone wrong.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Junie Moon said...

I love your chair re-do. My own chair desperately needs help and soon!