Saturday, October 15, 2011

Not a 1,600" Quilt

There is a somewhat popular quilt pattern out there called the 1600 inch quilt.  Essentially you take one jelly roll of 40 different, 2 1/2" wide, 42" long, strips of fabric.  Sew them end to end, then fold in half and sew the long edges together.  Keep doing that and you will end up with a 48" x 64" quilt top.


Did I mention that you are supposed to sew the ends together at a 45 degree angle?


Here is a link that shows you the concept and even a video on the procedure.


Where am I going with this?


A young man I know is a new father and I would like to give him a quilt for his new baby girl.  The problem is that I don't have much of a stash of baby fabrics that I thought would work for a very girly quilt.


Along comes the ever creative Janetta who suggests that I make one of these 1600" quilts and she just happens to have a bunch of girly fabrics that would work for it.


Janetta came up with 10 fat quarters of coordinating pink/brown/cream prints and I was off to the races.


I ended up cutting about fifty 2 1/2" wide, 22" long strips of fabric for my quilt.


Yes, that does not add up to 1600 inches made up of 40 different fabrics but I figured it would all work out in the end.


Here is what I came up with:


It came out to 35" x 58" and I do intend to add a border or two of beige/brown/pink fabrics.


Did you notice that I did not sew the strips together on an angle but straight on?


This quilt, so far, has taken about two episodes of Criminal Minds (off the TiVo) to get it to this stage.


Another episode or two and I should have it bordered, basted, quilted and bound.


Not bad for a quick baby quilt.


Next time I will definitely angle the joins of the strips!   

1 comment:

Brenda M. said...

Very pretty! Janet was doing this at retreat. I like visual instructions so I am glad you posted a site to look at that.

Brenda M.