Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolutions

I truly used to hate New Year's resolutions. It seemed so lame to start the New Year with new goals each year. It seemed like I was always trying to quit bad habits and lose wieght. It usually took about 48 hours for me to break them all and give up on them by the end of January. Now that I am a lot older I find New Year resolutions a good way to make simple promises to myself. Here is what I think I will be able to do this year:
  1. Eat Less, Move More - stop buying snacks so much and walk the BIG block with the dogs at least once a week. When its very cold or very hot here our walks can be quite short but one big walk a week should work well for us My ultimae goal is to do this more than once a week but let's see how I dowith once a week for a while.
  2. Finish UFOs - okay, this was on the list for this year with a goal of one a month. I found myself catching up every few months or so this year no numbers. The definition is being refined to included projects where I have all the bits and not started on them as well things I have started and not finished. As I sit here I see at least three projects that fit into the new definition so I think I will not be at a loss for old projects to complete.
  3. Make a weekly collage - My concept is that every week I will sit down and play with all the stuff that comes into the house on a weekly basis. Add to that the little bits of stuff that I generate plus all the little bits of stuff that are collecting in the corners and I should have enough materials to last a long time. I have a bunch of 6" x 6" primed canvasses that would work great for a weekly little project. I could practice new techniques on a small scale and maybe get the creative juices running again. The real bonus to all of this is that I will keep track of my sales taxes for the tax man on the back of the canvasses so I will not have to spend a couple of days running the ten key to add them all up at the end of the year. So, a little creative but way practical for me as well. Definitely speaks to my acocuntants soul and my wanna be artistic self!

So that's it - three simple resolutions. None seem particularly onerous and all are pretty open as to what it would take to keep them. I'll see how it goes and I am actually looking forward to the third one as I think it will help give me a boost.

Are you making any resolutions for 2009?

PS - The big doggie quilt from a couple of posts ago will be going to the Vet that looks after Alex and the girls. She is a great Vet and did not charge me for some fo the many check-ups he had while he was recovering from t he dog attack in the Spring. She is very pregnant and I think this quilt will work well for late night feedings and is varied enough in its fabrics to hide any little stains the new one baby may generate. It's in the dryer right now so as soon as its done I will be off to the Vet to pick up more heart worm pills and drop off the quilt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish you all the best in the new year!!!! I too have made a resolution - no more quilt projects until I finish the ones I have and am working on!! Last night I cleaned and counted!!! Ready 3 quilts in progress and 9 waiting! I just love block of the month but seem to not do them each month! Well, I am going to start with picking two and doing then each month!!
All the best Alice
judith