Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fat Quarter Challenge

I've mentioned before that I am participating in a monthly challenge to create something with a pre-selected fat quarter of fabric and a designated theme.


The meeting was this past Saturday but as i had the Quilt Show commitment I got a dispensation to submit my entry today without fear of reprisal.


That is all well and good but when the creativity juices have run dry this challenge was...... challenging.


Here is a shot of the fabric...


Nice design, interesting color and very elegant looking.


The challenge was to make something juvenile. 


JUVENILE!


From a fabric that could been on my Mother's sofa in another color!


My thought process went something like this:

  • Juvenile
  • rustic
  • not sophisticated
  • simple
  • easy
  • sturdy
Did I mention that it needed to be done in one evening while I was clearing out the TiVo?


Here is what I came up with:


A little drawstring backpack suitable for a toddler to take in the car loaded with little treasures.


It is about ten inches tall and about nine inches wide.  The cord is some old drapery trim and the side tabs are the same fabric as the lining.  The whole thing is interfaced with a light weight fusible and is not quilted.  My grand plan included making a couple of little stuffed toys but by the time I got it done the well had run dry.


The best part of this challenge is that I do not have to have it languish in the bottom of a drawer waiting for a toddler to show up.  Instead i can use as a knitting project bag.


Another month done done.  I wonder what the next challenge will be?

2 comments:

jean said...

Like what you did! I made a little reversible purse that was promptly given away. Wait until you see what Claudia has for this month's challenge. It's a doozie that may take me down. Enough for now....jean

Lisa said...

Cute!!!