Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Happy Finds

The worst thing about doing a complete clear out of the sewing and craft supplies is that you sometimes come across things that you thought you had already used or discarded.


The other is that you find things that you had looked for in the past and had given up on ever finding.


A couple of days ago both of these things happened for me for a fortuitous marriage of two accidental finds.


The first was a piece of brown cotton/linen blend fabric from Japan.  I thought I had used it all up in various projects but I found about two more yards of it.


The other was a copy of Threads Magazine from the summer of 2008 (no. 137).


What if I used the brown fabric with the Five Rectangle Jacket pattern?


An hour or so later this is what I came up with:



Yes, it is a lot like a bog coat.


Yes, it is shapeless.


Yes, the fabric should have been reversible.


BUT it fits well, is the perfect weight for spring and summer here, begs for some additional embellishment (big button?  silk screened circles? paint stick highlights?) and it made me use the mitering skills I had learned from Linda Lee, of the Sewing Workshop, many years ago.


I like it and think I will get a lot of use out of it.  I may try it again with a wonderful linen that just reappeared but maybe a little longer to cover my flat butt.


I hope I find some more accidental pairings while I s-l-o-w-l-y get things sorted out in my sewing space. 

No comments: