Thursday, August 26, 2010

KNOT Name Tag

In Houston there is a guild of knitters called the Knit At Night Gang or KANG for short.  It started many years years ago as a group of knitters who worked during the day and were looking for a way to meet other knitters.  Since then it has grown to a city-wide group with with four chapters.  The original KANG, Chicks with Sticks, KNOW (Knitters Near Out West) and KNOT (Knitters North Of Town).

All of these groups are very laid back and have knitters in them from the very experienced to the ones who are not sure how to do a simple cast on.

I belong to the KNOT chapter and tonight is their monthly meeting that is held in a church hall in Old Town Spring.  Not only do I get a chance to meet up with friends but the location is almost right next door to Twisted Yarns and is just a block or two away from some great eating and retail establishments.

How great is that!  Friends, eating, shopping and knitting all within a couple of blocks of each other.

One of the benefits of joining the guild is that you get a name tag pouch to wear at the meetings.

Typically you would print out your name on a slip of paper and insert it into the clear plastic cover on the front of the holder.

Not me.

It's a knitting group so the name tag should have something to do with knitting, right?

I decided to get creative and instead of printing out my name I decided to write it in yarn on an old swatch.

Here's how it came out:

It sort of looks like it says Alice... doesn't it?

I interfaced the back of the swatch after I did the stitching and sewed down the edges to get it to the correct size.

Maybe not as successful a project as I had hoped, but I think that I can now go on to doing a proper job of it by knitting a swatch specifically for this use and then duplicate stitch my name on it for posterity.

Be that as it may, the name tag above is what I will be using tonight.

Let's hope that some pople can read my name correctly and that the others will not spend the evening giggling at the crazy lady from Kingwood with her wacky name tag.

Fingers crossed that there will be more of the former than the latter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it looks lovely!!!!!

j