Thursday, May 6, 2010

1 2 3 Red White Blue

After Mother's Day, the next big holidays around here are Memorial Day, Father's Day and Independence Day.  I am going to have to take down the springy decorations at the restaurant and put up something patriotic and manly so I won't have to make any more changes until after the Fourth of July.

I have decided that patriotic can also be manly so I came up with this quilt:
Alex and Kimora do not understand why they can't sleep on it!
 It is supposed to look like a rail fence pattern like this:

Mine does not have the traditional stair step pattern because the Jelly Roll I used of pre-cut 2 and 1/2" strips of fabrics had lots of blue and white but very few red strips. 

Lesson learned - do not assume a nice even distirbution of colors or values just because you bought a jelly roll of fabric strips from one whole line of fabric.

The line of fabric represented here is the Hamptons from Moda Fabrics.

After I quilted it I thought it needed a little more security so I added the red buttons. 

Lots of red buttons, few red fabric strips.

Other decorating will be some of those red, white and blue fabric swags, some similar flowers and, maybe, a couple of suprises.

Sorry that I haven't been keeping up this blog recently. 

I'll try better.

Happy Cinco De Mayo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks good to me. Don't be so hard on yourself, only you knowing what you had in mind!