The harnesses I bought last Fall for them were getting pretty ratty. I decided to use the old harnesses as a pattern for making new ones from some sweet Japanese fabric I purchased recently at Sew Crafty Houston.
Aren't they cute?
Alex's has little trucks on it.
and Kimora's has chocolate hearts.
I did learn a couple of things while making these.
First off, although I hate big box stores, a 24 hour WalMart, that still carries sewing supplies, is a godsend at midnight when you run out of pre-made bias binding. Kimora nearly did not have a harness for this morning's walk when I realized that what I thought was bias binding tape was actually hem tape.
Secondly, all Vecro is not alike. I used the extra soft kind for these harnesses while the originals have extra-strong Velcro on them. There really is a difference in holding power and, although I have not had any troubles keeping the harnesses on them (yet!), I will probably have to replace the wimpy stuff before too long.
Thirdly, those little screws that hold you presser plate on your sewing machine can get lost in the workings of your machine. Even though you pick it up, turn it upside down and shake it for all it is worth the screws will not fall back out. Fortunately I had a couple of another machine that had screws that fit.
Note to self: buy more screws for the next time this happens.
This whole project cost me about $12.00 as most of the supplies were stash items and I re-used the fittings from the old harnesses.
Next up... new leashes.
Until then, have a good weekend!