Saturday, July 25, 2009

Sock #1

Every knitter that has attempted socks seems to have a sock Number 1, the First Sock, the one that will never have a mate but, also, the one that makes you think all things are possible.


Sock #1 for me was made from a generic style sock pattern from the yarn store. I used the needles and yarn specified and made a sock that would fit godzilla and would best be recycled into a deadly weapon. It was a small disaster but I came away from the experience believing that I could made a sock that would fit. Here's how it came out laid out next to a more recent attempt:
I must confess that I made the leg of the sock much shorter than the instructions required as I was weary of the ribbing pattern. I have no idea why the heeel looks deformed, why the toe decrease are half on top of the foot and half on one side or why the foot is so huge compared to a more recent sock even though they both have the same number of stitches but its done... which is always better than not done.

When I came across this the other day (it was buried under some truly old UFOs) I almost chucked it out in the garbage, however, I think even the biggest failure can be instructive to have around so I think I will reinvent it, not as WMD (weapon of mass destruction) but as a holder of something... like knitting thingies or marking tools.

I hope your weekend is going well. I have some family in town this weekend and I probaly won't be getting alot done. I just might snag some sewing machine time to figure out this sock pouch idea... or NOT!

No comments: