I was thoroughly intrigued by the technique as its success or failure is completely dependent on the quilter being able to very, very, very accurately stack identical lengths of fabrics on top of one another and precisely cutting the stack so that every piece in the stack of fabric is exacty the same.
I'll wait, while those of you, who know that accurate is not my middle name or in my family tree, to have the time to laugh and get it out of your system.
Anyway, I picked up a pattern at Jean's in Livingston during her sale and realised that the quilt project demonstrated in the pattern would never, ever be made by me.
BUT I had a wonderful piece of fabric that might be a good practice piece.
Here's what I came up with:
This may not be the most artistic quilt anyone has ever made but I think it clearly shows that I can do the required layering and cutting to get accurate blocks composed of four identical cuts of fabric.
This quilt does NOT show a particularly great choice for the size to cut the squares to make the blocks. I have been kicking myself since I finished that I have about one squre inch of fabric left so I cannot experiment with other sizes of squares.
Buy lots of fabric for this kind of experiment. I should have previewed several sizes of squares before deciding on the three inch size I used.
All quilt tops are usable not matter how ill-conceived the design may be or how much they may not fit into your home. Doggies always need new quilt but this quilt experiment will be donated to the Interfaith Quilting Bee for distribution to their charities.
Kelis trying to claim this quilt top as her own snuggle quilt.
This quilt was quilted and tied. I liked the little ties I added by couching down little bits of some pearl cotton. They add a payful touch and some extra security.
I really can cut things accurately and feel well prepared to try a One Block Wonder quilt when I need a challenge.
BTW - The quilt is shown hanging on some roofing materials stacked in my driveway. If the weather holds, I will have a new roof put on the house tomorrow. Athough Ike did not destroy my roof, it did remove most of the remaining life and the insurance company has decided to support a new roof. I am so looking forward to not worrying about my roof blowing off in the next storm as the new one is rated to withstand the force of a 100 MPH wind. Here's hoping!