Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Operation Care Package - Update

As I mentioned earlier, this project looks like it will be alot of fun. I got a stocking pattern from Barb and in almost no time I made up three of them. The first one was a patterned denim. Since my embroidery machine has not been getting much of a workout, I embroidered a Santa on some of it. It took THREE HOURS of Olympics watching to get it done but I don't regret a minute of it. The second was just plain denim. The third is from a fat quarter I found while trying to clean up around here. As soon as I saw it I thought stocking and whipped it right up. I guess those of us from the flower child days will smile at this fabric!


These are very easy to do expecially with soft curves. I serged up the sides and around the top edge to cover the raw edges. I then sewed the deams, flipped it all right side out and turned down the top edge and sewed it down with decorative stitches on my sewing machine. I thought about adding gewgaws and doodads but, as weight may be issure, I restrained myself.

There seems to be a lot of interest locally in making these so I am going to see if the local community room is available for some Saturday this September for a community sew-in. With the amount of Christmas fabric everyone seems to have in their stashes, we should be able to get quite a few done in one day. The incomparable Ms. S. came up with the sew-in idea. She is such a ball of fire when anyone mentions that there is sewing to be done and given away. She wears me out with her energy and her stash is awesome.

4 comments:

Junie Moon said...

Great job on your stockings! I posted about mine today and shared a link to your blog.

Sue said...

I have a new embroidery sewing machine and I hate to admit I'm intimidated by it. I've sewn on it, but haven't tried embroidery. How difficult is it?

Alice said...

Sue - it can be intimidating but try it any way - rememeber that once you try the rules then you can do anything you want. Take a class or two and just have fun with it. I have lots of crappy examples that have been recycled but when it works its great!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the stocking post! This will be my second year to coordinate the project. Each time a box of stockings it's like Christmas to me. This has been a great project to coordinate and participate in. Students at the University I work as have learned to sew by making stockings. They can't wait until we start again this fall.

Fran (volunteer Operation Care Package and Army mom)