Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Schlepp Bag

I first saw instructions for this bag at a board meeting for the Houston ASG Chapter. Apparently someone had showed it at neighborhood group and another member (an engineer no less) created instructions on how to make it. I took a copy as I was intrigued by a bag made out of squares and immeadiately saw an opportunity to use up some the five inch packs I have been picking up at my favorite quilt shop. I tried to make one and it turned out incorrectly. I then was e-mailed a scan of a similar pattern, resewed my bag and it turned out wrong again. For some reason when I used this pattern it all came out correctly. Anyway, here is my bag:


I used a pack of five inch squares from Moda but have no idea which pack it is as I have discarded the packaging. You need 32 squares if you do the lining and exterior in squares. My pack did not have enough squares so I added five extra from a spare fat quarter. I cut the straps from a fat quarter as well using two strips of 22" x 5" and ending up at about 1 1/4 wide after folding and stitching. I think , if you choose to go with a five inch square rather than a seven inch square, (as in the pattern) you should stick to one manufacturer as they all seem to cut their packs a little differently. I used Fusible Thermalon Fleece by Pellon for the batting that is attached to the lining. I cut it a tad smaller than the actual size of the squares to reduce bulk. I also cut another piece the size of the finished bottom to add a little more protection to the bottom when it is in use.


The bag, using five inch squares, came out to seven inches on each side and about ten inches tall. This is a nice size for a light shopping day, a book bag or as a gift bag. The five inch packs come in many themes so it should be easy to match one to an event. The other suggestion I have seen is to cut your squares so that there is a focus fabric in the middle diamonds. That would look very planned and not as scrappy as mine.


Thanks to the Internet I have another little bag to add my sewing repetoire but I must give credit to the other two designers for figuring it out as well. Apparently the original was on the HGTV website a little over a year ago and I found the quilt guild class instructions by cruising through one of the links in a discusion thread.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

OOOOHHHH.... I like that one a LOT!!!!