Saturday, April 26, 2008

One Year and Counting

On April 26th last year I received my notice from the BIG BANK that my services were longer needed. After the initial shock wore off the next day, I started this blog. What a journey it has been! This past year has been so unlike any other year of my life. Heck, I had my first paying job when I was 12, spent over twenty years supporting a deadbeat spouse and, since I graduated from college, have only been out of work for eight weeks almost 30 years ago. I have not had a job in the last year to define who I am so I have been making it up as I go along. I may not even look for a job until my Dad gets settled in some sort of long term care facility up North.

I've been having a lot of fun trying to be creative and have had the opportunity to get to know some really creative people. I've developed some friendships outside of my old work environment and have become a Dachshund lover. My house is mess but I really don't care because I am having too much fun doing stuff that makes it messy. On top of it all I have a couple of health crises and managed to lose some wieght.

Have I learned anything? I think I have learned that I have a lot more inner resources than I give myself credit for and that being alone does not mean being lonely. I've also learned that I am not an artist but that that doesn't mean I can't experiment with different artisitic techniques. I have reconnected with my brothers without the sibling crap getting in the way and I have learned to be a parent to my father. I still have not learned how to be talll, thin, blond and rich but I am working on it.

I wonder what the next year will bring? Whatever it is, I hope you will continue to travel with me.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

You have definitely had a lot of changes in the last year. It is amazing how much our identity is formed by our jobs and how we have to re-define our identity when this aspect of our lives changes. Sounds like you are doing great; I'll definitely be with you for the ride!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a fabulous and exciting year! This next one should be equally as wonderful!

Christie said...

Wow, what a journey. I just found your blog via the doll quilt swap & what a great 1st post to read!

I guess we never stop learning...

ODG said...

Obviously I haven't been paying enough attention to your blogging efforts - long story, short: I am glad we have had this time together. Looking forward to watching you grow and learning from your experience.

...The Baby