Thursday, April 10, 2008

He's Home!

After a full day at the vet's yesterday it was decided that Alex did not have to spend any more time being professionally monitored and that he could come home. I had a hard time just getting him into the car as there are very few places without stutches, drains or bruises to grab to pick him up. He came home in one of those collars that are used to prevent animals from licking their wounds. I made the executive decision that unless he is locked up in his crate, he will not have to wear it. He is on two pain meds and one antibiotic. The vet doubled one of the pain meds because he was not getting enough relief to be able to sleep. Now he sleeps quite well but he snores to beat the band!

He ended up sleeping with me last night because he cried so pathetically when I put him in his crate with the collar. This arrangement was good for him but bad for me. I am allergic to dogs and he spent the night as close to me face as he could get. I woke up totally congested but he was in good shape. I had to take him back to the vet this morning for new bandages and the vet took the opportunity to let me see all the damage that was previously covered up. It looks like he has about 25 stitches in various places and six wounds varying in size from four inches (on his belly) to one about half an inch long. The damaged areas are quite swollen and he has the beginning of some nasty bruises. We are back home now and he has slept the afternoon away.

We have a few more days of close monitoring to make sure there are no infections or other complications. Here is a photo of our wounded warrior snoring his head off last evening.
Thank you for all your good thoughts and wishes. He is a strong little fellow and, I hope, he should be back to normal, barking at all the squirrels and chasing his toys, in a couple of weeks. Until then he will be a frequent visitor to the vet and eatng lots and lots of treats!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, just now reading the posts about your poor puppy - how awful!!! I'm glad you are going to be okay. You DEFINITELY need to report that dog to animal control - what if it attacks again, next time killing another animal or a person??

Anonymous said...

This is so sad. I hope Alex gets well soon. He was a brave dog to try to protect you.

Anonymous said...

Hugs and doggie kisses to you Alex, you're in our prayers that you heal quickly, you're strong and brave so I have no doubt you will! I'm right there with mamalife, I'd report that dog...

Anonymous said...

I heard about your dog at Fireflynights. I am soo sorry this happened to him. I will keep you in my prayers. Charli and I wish Alex a speedy recovery.

Rue said...

Poor Alex :( I found you through Rosanne at firefly nights and I'm sitting here crying reading about Alex. He was so brave! I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Rue

dogquilter said...

Hope Alex is feeling better soon. What a brave puppy he is!!

Sonya said...

OMG those are horrible injuries!
I am very happy to read that he is on the road to recovery. He is a very brave little guy.