Saturday, April 12, 2008

Alex Update

Alex went to the vet today to get his bandages changed. He is now sporting bright purple sports wrap as well as the standard ace bandages and gauze. They removed the drains which should make him a little more comfortable. The removal of the drains also means that the thickness of the bandages could be reduced so you can now see his athletic figure a bit more. If he continues to heal as well as he has, the vet thinks that he will be able to have some of the sutures removed on Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

I have been having a hard time getting him to eat his normal rations and have even tried some pretty disgusting canned food on him with little success. In search of an effective solution he and I visited the local pet store and they suggested a very flavorful dry food. He was very pampered by them and ended up consuming two huge peanut butter flavored bones. I have also had trouble getting him to take his pills until Paul suggested giving the pills with some peanut butter. The pills have been going down very easily since then. When combined wth the evidence of the pet store treats I think peanut butter flavored puppy treats will be added to my doggy shopping list.

After his very busy morning Alex came home with bags under his eyes he was so tired. He is snoring next to me right now and I don't think he will move again unless there is an earthquake or if I have to leave to use the bathroom... one of his favorite spectator sports!

BTW - although he appears to be his old self he is totally freaked when we are out walking and we hear another dog or see another dog (even if the other dog is inside its home). He will not go near the street where the whole thing happened. A couple of times I have picked him and carried him home, other times he makes a u-turn and power walks home. I'll continue to take my cues from him. We may never walk that way again but I will not let us give up walks altogether, we'll just find another favorite path where he can finds lots of good smells and plenty of old dried worms to eat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Alex is healing so quickly! :-) And kudos to you for following his lead.. poor boy may never want to walk that way again, and just think, it might also be because he's worried about your safety! what a brave brave boy!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear all the extra crazy lady kisses have helped Alex :). It all takes time, I hope you can find a new area to walk, for the safety of all involved.