Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Finny & Donk's Sewing Adventure - March

I finally made peace with pintucks. I ended up going by the instructions in the book and the results were pretty good. I wanted to beef them up a little so I added cording to them after I sewed the pintucks. Here's what I came up with:

The project for this month was a pintucked table runner. I decided to make one for a table that I keep dumping things on. I figured if I made the table runner out of a fancy fabric I would be restrained in dumping things on it. I chose a lovely peachy dupioni silk. About half way through I realized that this fabic was not fancy enough. I went into my stash of completed embroideries and found, what I think is, the perfect complement to the silk. I added the embroidery, some simple borders and backing and voila! I am now thinking that it may be too pretty to sit on a table and I may make it into a wall hanging. For now, it will stay on the table top until I get my next inspiration.


Here is Alex giving his sniff of approval:

Note to self: Always smell sale fabric before purchasing it. This fabric was purchased from Leandro Fabrics when we had their fabrics here for the ASG Houston annual meeting last year. It was on sale in a sealed plastic bag. When I started cutting up the fabric the most horrid smell began to waft through the room. The whole piece (four yards of it!) smells of mold and mildew! Since I wanted the silk to stay crisp I waited until I was finished then sprayed it liberally wth anti-smell stuff. So next time, smell before I buy!

2 comments:

Junie Moon said...

Your project is gorgeous. I love the thought you put behind what you wanted to make. That's a shame about the odor, maybe you could also put it outside in the fresh air.

rohanknitter said...

That is beautiful, definitely worthy of becoming a wall hanging.