Friday, February 8, 2008

Finny and Donk's Sewing Adventure Update

PROJECT ONE - BUTTON SCARF

The first project for the sew-a-long is based on the button scarf from 30 Simple Gifts to Stitch. The scarf is just about the easiest sewing you will ever see but there is a challenge in it. To replicate the scarf you need to use fake fur, a fabric that is a pain in the butt to work with and, fortunately, not suitable for Houston weather! I used a piece of taffeta burnout, couched on some suede yarn (for more texture), lined it with a blue silky fabric and used a leaf bead as the button. As I used the full width of the fabric rather than the suggested 26", it's more of a stole than a scarf and it will be good for my shoulders. I'm pretty proud of the bead as I had to drastically alter it from its florescent tourquoise look by rubbing on black paint, copper pigment powder and some bees wax, for shine. I have enough fabric left to make a matching skirt but I think I will revert it to the original purpose which was to make a couple of purses for the Kingwood Quilt Guild auction.
(Sorry that the button is hiding in the fabric!)


I wonder what the next project will be?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alice -

The button scarf is very creative. I would like to turn out handmade gifts this year for the people I love, just because I'm into that sort of thing now vs. buying from a store. This book got good reviews so I added it to my Amazon wish list.