Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Knitting Bag UFO#6

I have decided that I can start using the sewing machine again even if everything has not found a place from the great HVAC hose out of the sewing space. The project I used to re-intiate sewing was a project I started back when the Yarn Harlot was here. At her presentation I won a door prize from Louet knitting yarns. The door prize was a kit to knit, felt, embellish and stuff a 14" square pillow. The kit uses the intarsia method of knitting to make a pattern in the work. I did have a lot of trouble with all the yarn getting knotted up due to my inability to create usable yarn bobbins.

I do not need any more pillows around here for Alex to destroy so I decided to make it into a knitting bag. I used an annoying belt from a pair of shorts as the strap and some white nlylon as a lining. I used the white for lining as I have learned the hard way that a dark lining fabric makes it almost impossible to see things in the bottom of a deep tote bag. Between the lining and the outside of the bag I added a few dried lavender flower heads. This may be unique to me but I like the idea of the possibility of a nice, long lasting scent in a bag. Real lavender lasts for centuries (unlike most perfumes) but only releases its scent a bit at time. I know my bag, and its contents, will smell fresh for a very long time. Here's how it came out:
The french knots and visible stitches are from linen yarn that was included in the kit. This project felted so thickly that I did not embellish as much as shown in the original project because my fingers were getting sore. I also had a couple problems on the seams which didn't show up until I felted the bag.

BTW - Louet made a great kit. There were than enough materials to complete the project with lots available in case I messed up. The instructions and the intarsia chart were clear but I did have to go to the net for help with the intarsia. The picture of the final project could have been better as it only showed one corner of the proposed pillow. I saw the full price for this kit, which I thought was excessive, but on sale at 30 - 50% off, it would be a good buy and a satisfying knitting project.


No comments: