Monday, May 21, 2007

Cruising the Internet

For pure mindless activity while being pinned to the couch by a sleeping puppy, I surf the internet by hitting the 'next blog' button at the top of each blogspot blog. This evening I have found myself entranced by three very different blogs that I found.

One is by a guy who is part of a team from Great Britain working at Halley station in Antarctica. I read most of his entries from his being notified that he was part of the team last June, to yesterday when he went into the tunnels beneath the station to check on the utilities. The 100 day night has started and he wonders if he will make it in tact. The pictures are terrific and I believe I now have a greater appreciation for those doing science in such a harsh climate. Here is the link: http://antarctic-diary.blogspot.com/.

Another site that held my attention was by a woman who had been raped and was using her blog to work through her feelings about the rape, men, sex and other related topics. Her most recent post was on a video that had been made of about twenty men killing a woman from their family due to her being seen with a man from a different sect. The fact that some of the men filmed the killing more as documentation rather than in outrage is particularly offensive. I almost regret that I did not save the address as the blogger was incredibly articulate however I don't know if I want to go back as my stomach is still roiling at the thought of someone recording and posting such offensive activity.

The third posting that caught my attention this evening was for a group that creates and sells craft kits each month - one for paper based crafts and another for fabric based crafts. Completely frivolous and I certanly don't need another kit but the shown kits for May looked like fun and a good distraction when I don't want to work on that blankety blank quilt I started two years ago and still haven't finished. Here is the link:http://redvelvetgirls.typepad.com/rvkc/.

So this evening I have been educated, had my consciousness raised and indulged my crafty side. Now if I could only get this puppy off me so I can go to the bathroom without an audience life would be closer to perfect than it has for the past few days of sneezing and coughing.

No comments: