Friday, January 28, 2011

Houston Art Asylum Road Trip

A few days ago I decided that I needed some retail therapy.


I was feeling crabby with the beginnings of a cold and I had not hit any of my favorite places to shop in a long, long time.


I figured that I could do Sew Crafty Houston, Yarns 2 Ewe and Time Treasured Quilts in an extended afternoon.


I mentioned to my buddy, Janetta, that I needed to shop and we tentatively planned on heading out this morning after Knitting Friday today.


With no plans, three of us headed out this morning for the three places I had planned on visiting plus the addition of Houston Art Asylum.


I AM SO GLAD WE WENT TO THE ART ASYLUM FIRST!


The attendant said that they opened a couple of years ago with mostly purchased stock.  Today it is almost a going concern with huge amounts of donated material.


I could have spent the whole day there just rummaging around in the fabric, yarn, books, doll parts, tools parts, knick knacks and about a zillion other things.


Here are just some of the pictures I wanted to take of what they had...there would have been more but my battery died.

 What would you do with these horns?
 I need a trophy!!


$3.00 a yard for standard fabric, $6.00 for upholstery fabrics!!!


No funky smells, no stains, no mold, no mildew... all of this stuff is in mint condition with the exception of normal wear and tear...which only makes some pieces more interesting!


What did I get?


Nothing.


WHAT!?!


Yup, I bought nothing.  With about 60 boxes and bins of donations for the Kingwood Area Quilt Guild garage sale I couldn't bring myself to buy any of the fabric, yarn, beads, buttons or other funky stuff offered.


BUT, I will be back after the show in mid-April, when I get my house back - watch out...I could go a little crazy.


If you have a couple of hours some day go to the Houston Art Asylum.  I don;t see how you could be disappointed and, with great eating nearby you could make it the focus of an afternoon in the City.


The other places, well that's a tale for another day.


Have a great weekend!  

No comments: