Monday, May 31, 2010

Teeny Tiny Hats

A couple of the local yarn stores sponsor a charity project where knitters (and crocheters too!) are asked to use up their scrap yarn to make little hats for premie babies.  Left over sock yarn  is ideal for this project and I spent movie watching time over the past couple of days getting three more done.

Cute or what?

I used a super wash wool sock yarn that washes up into a very, very soft fuzzy hand.

I decided to try out three different ways of finishing the tops. 

The middle one is my favorite...an I-cord, created off the final stitches at the top, and would be great for plucking the hat off of a little one's head. 

The one on the left has a pom-pom that seems about to eat the hat.  If I do this again I will make a smaller pom pom.  I used a pom pom maker offered by Clover and it was a breeze to use.  I got mine from JoAnn's and used a 40% off coupon so it was a great bargain.

The one of the right has a traditional way to close up the top of the hat...just string a piece of yarn through the last stitches, pull tight and secure.  It works but I don't think it is as cute as the I-cord solution.

I hope the mothers and their babies like them.  I am not sure which store will get my latest efforts.  I have about a dozen waiting to be given away the next time I am at a participating yarn store.  On the other hand, I may just drop them off to a group that provides a lot stuff to a specific local charity hospital that doesn't get much community support.

The thing they are sitting on in the backyard?  That was my other weekend project and you will just have to wait to see the great unveiling.

  

No comments: