Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative

The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative was founded by quilter Ami Sims three years ago to raise funds for Alzheimers research. This is an unusual charty in that you can contrbute in two ways to this project. One is by contributing small art quilts to the project which are sold to other contributors. The other is by buying the quilts or by direct donation.


I love this charity as I have been able to purchase small art quilts that I never would had the opportunity to have in any other way.


At the Quilt Festival this year this one particularly caught my eye:


The picture does not do it justice as the colors and shapes are more subtle than the photo indicates.


The quilt is titled 'Breakthrough' and it was made by Mary Jo Schroeder of Port Angeles, WA. I think that the pink coming through the black perfectly illustrates how Alzheimer patients can have moments of clarity while this illness increasingly fogs their minds.


If you are looking for a unique gift for yourself or someone else please consider this project.


I do not think you will be disappointed.

No comments: