Sunday, May 10, 2009

Carol Doak Class

On Friday I was in an all day class with Carol Doak. Carol's claim to fame is her publication of a zillion paper piecing designs as well is her well organized and methodical way of creating paper pieced blocks. Our area was very lucky to have her here for about two weeks. She gave three lecture/trunk shows and held about six classes. She is a pretty good teacher and was able to adjust her teaching to make complete newbies comfortable as well as more seasoned quilters successful.
The major draw was that Carol has annouced that she is going to be taking some time off and not traveling for a while. I don't know if this means she is retiring from the teaching circuit or that she wants to spend time with her newly retired husband but I do know that you won't go wrong if you catch a class by her. One caveat is that she does do a lot of selling class, but, then again ,she has a lot of information to share that is included in the things she sells.


We worked on a small wall hanging from her 'Mariner's Compass' book. The center piece of the block was the block she calls France. It is made up of eight elements with six peices of fabric in each. Most of the participants used fabrics that reads as solids from pastels and to primary colors. I used pieces from my stash of hand dyed fabrics and this is how it came out:


It needs a border or two and some quilting but I do like the way it came out, albeit a little unconventional. Before I make it up I may spend time coloring some of the pieces a little darker so that the shadows are more clearly defined. Unitl then it will go into my stack of UFO's until I get inpsired.


Have a good week!

No comments: