Monday, August 4, 2008

Waiting for Edouard

It looks like Edouard will be making a direct hit at Galveston tomorrow but he should be relatively mild. The last news I heard put him at a catagory one storm when he hits Galveston or, at least, a tropical storm. This should be an easy storm for my area with only four to six inches of rain and moderately high winds of only fifty miles an hour. My neighborhood has a seven inch deficit of rain this year so the rain will be welcome but I fear that much with the predicted winds will mean lost power and fallen trees. I have done my stocking up on water and have located my rechrgeable flashlight/radio so I will be fine. The dogs went home with Paul yesterday and, as his neighborhood has very reliable electricity they should all be fine. If the inevitable power outage here goes on for days I will relocate to his home.

While waiting for Edouard I decided to work on a problem I have been having when I go grocery shopping. Its been in the nineties with high humidity here for a quite a while. This means, that even though I tend to grocery shop very early in the day, by the time I get home my cloth shopping bags are soaked with condensation. The ones I have made take forever to dry out and the cloth bags from the store seem to take longer. Throwing them in the dryer seems to defeat the purpose of avoiding disposable bags. Sometimes the milk or other things will leak so I need to wash them out. This is the kind of maintenance I hate so this evening I constructed a new bag just for refrigerated and/or frozen groceries.



I took one of the large platicized rice bags and made a shopping bag with handles, a boxed bottom and a roll-over top with a velcro closure. I anticipate that most of my cold stuff will fit in one bag and, by sealing the top, they should stay cold/frozen until I get home. Even if things leak or have lots of condensation I can just wipe the bag out and put it back into the rotation immeadiately. The added bonus is that this is a unique bag decorated by the Three Ladies brand... oh, so elegant!
(Front, Back, Interior)


So take that Edouard! While many of my neighbors have been swarmng the grocery stores here, I have been having fun at the sewing machine and I'm still ready for you!


BTW - If you would like one, I have about a dozen bags left to work with and would be glad to send you a copy of my cold food bag. Just let me know.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Blech - I hate tropical storms and hurricanes... hope you fare well and keep your power!