Saturday, July 12, 2008

Vogue Fabrics

While in Chicago it is mandatory that sewers visit Vogue Fabrics in Evanston. I made the trecl there by train/subway the other day and the destination was well worth the trip. I approached Vogue along Main Street and was disappointed to see that it had a brand spanking new red brick facade. My heartsunk a little as I thought the outside represented a modern chrome and plastic interior. I was happy to see that as soon a I stepped in that there were some folding chairs by the front door, the floors creaked and the building was way bigger on the inside than on the outside. There were literally four different, large rooms of fabric and notions, more than enough for even the most inexperienced sewer to find fabric for a project.

I picked up five different pieces of fabric plus some discounted varigated embroidery thread (at $2.00 a spool) and pre-packaged woven ribbons (on sale for ten packages for $2.00). I even know what I will do with most of my purchases.





This navy blue peice is for my doctor. It is navy silk with a bunch of medical stuff printed on it. Might make a good scarf.











This piece is a stretch cotton twill that I think will make a great puzzle blouse as the stretch will be enhanced by the bias cut of the blouse.
















This piece is a large tropical print of unknown content that I think was originally meant for curtains. I really don't know what to do with it but I love the lushness of the design.

















This piece is a heavy weight canvas. I love the cartoonish print. I think I will need to use my dye pens on it before it goes into a great tote bag or other application that needs a strong fabric. Green eyes, red hair? There are lots of possbilities.














Not pictured is a four yard piece of some light weight pink striped cotton that I need for a night gown I have been planning for many years.

This is a must see destination if your are in the Chicago area. The staff really knows its stuff and were very attentve to my needs. Some of my collegues took a taxi to Vogue and it cost $45.00 each way. I think taking the train is a better option. I got to stop off at Dinkel's Bakery and Willie and Slim's pet store on Lincoln. Afterwards I went to International Bead and Novelty in a downtown office building with stock, I am sure, that was in their original 1918 inventory as well as more recent acquisitions. Their prices were excellent and I could have stayed all day poking into the old stocking boxes for unique beads and findings.



Another place I went to was Gino's East. I had read about their wonderful deep dish pizza but was thoroughly disappointed. Many of you know that I allergic to tomatoes but I was willing to put up with significant intestinal distress for legendary pizza. The presentation looked good but the sauce was tasteless crushed tomotoes straight out of a can... at least it tasted that way to me. I ate a quarter of the small size and intended to bring the balance back with me to the hotel. I ditched it in a garbage can outside the subway station as it was becoming too irritating to carry any longer.

Except for this misstep, my time exploring Chicago has been well spent. I need to make it to the Art Institue to pay tribute to the Thorne miniatures, a favorite with me for many years. Even if I miss this stop I wll still be well satisfied with this trip.

Next up - The ASG annual conference.

1 comment:

Sean said...

Hi, I love the idea with fabric painting and the faces. Very creative, I think it will be a winner. I will definitely try that for a display. Oh, and by the way, the 'new' brick facade is around 40 years old. Thought you'd like to know. Gotta love the old floor, though.-Sean