Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Oh Canada!

Today is Canada Day and I hope all my Canadaian friends are having a good time today. I was up there last week and the news was full of odd patriotic angst.

For instance - Bracebridge, a small city, has Canadian flags on many of its bridges. The flags are hung horizonitally and contained within stainless steel frames. Apparently this has been going on for years but now someone has decided that this evidence of patriotism is illegal. The rules on displaying the flag say that it must be hung from a flag pole and not on bridges or from light standards. There were lots of references to the way Americans display the flag and how the rules are very strict. No where in the debate did anyone say that it was a good thing to display the flag as long as it is done with respect.

And...

On the radio one commentator said that hearing the national anthem made him 'all tingly'. Heck, almost every national anthem makes me a little tingly. The folks calling in on the show thought he was a little weird so I guess I'm a lot weird.

And..

Some people were writing letters to the editor because they wanted Canada Day to be celebrated on a long weekend every year. Makes no sense to me but for some reason the writers thought that Independence Day was set up for a long weekend every year. Does anyone have a calendar up there?

How to reconcile these three separate incidents is impossible but I felt I was at home. Canadian wackiness is a lot like American wackiness and I love it all.

Happy Canada Day... even if its on a Tuesday!

1 comment:

Bristolcare said...

I moved to Canada from England in 1972. I would never want to live anywhere else other than right here in Western Canada, However, you are right, there sure is a lot of 'Wackiness' that goes on. Makes me feel like I want to slap a few people sometimes!!!! lol