Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Digitized Sashiko

While I was at the ASG Conference I saw Penny Muncaster-Jewel. She is an extremely talented sewer who has won numerous awrds for her wearable arts and is an expert digitizer of machine embroidery designs. I saw a wondeful garment at her booth that included some sashiko designs. I bought the disk and have been playing with it. Here is Penny's website. Although it is under construction you can see some of her garments and get a sense of her joy in all things. Congratulations Penny!

Here are three different stitch-outs of the Hollyhock sashiko design in a hexagon border.
The first thing I tried was a pink rayon Sulky thread on some hand dyed fabric that was waiting to be stored. I'm not sure that it was an effective use but it was fun to watch it stitch.
The second try was with some variegated Sulky blendables thread on some grey twill. I have no idea where the fabric came from but Alex was making a nest out of it so I thought it would be fine for an experiment.
The third try was on the same grey twill but with a solid Sulky thread. I think this is the most successful use but my heart always goes to the varigated threads.

The stitch-outs were done on two layers of fabric around some Warm 'n' Natural cotton batting. I did not use any stabilizer and don't think these required it anyway.

I intend to use at least one of these on a new case for my Sony e-reader. My old one had a cover with a velcroed closure. I think this one will use a button like the Zakka book covers I saw in one of the Japanese craft books I received a month or so ago. I will post it once I get it done.

No comments: