Monday, April 7, 2008

Serendipity Finale

I finally finished the serendipity outfit that I started last week based on two fabrics that seemed to go together. The dress was a real pain to complete and I needed to recut and resew the sides several times to make them lie flat. The jacket is a single layer of a linen/cotten blend with ties in the front and the edges bound with self bias. Despite getting it done, I realized on Saturday that it was too light weight for the coolish weather thaat day. Here is how it turned out: (please forgive the poor photo as I have yet to master taking pictures of myself!)
I think it turned out okay.. not great but acceptable for some events. I don't think it looks like something poorly made by loving hands but you may disagree! It is not a lawn dress and will not be put in the closet to be brought out only for yard work. I think if I made it again I would choose identical light weight fabrics in different color ways. The over blouse is in a heavier weight than the dress so the tie in the front looks a little like a tumor when viewed from the side. The dress, by itself, is pretty dumpy but I can add tucks or a belt at the waist line to give it more shape if I wear it alone. All in all a successful project that is made way more elegant by the addition of pearls at the neckline.
This was a stretch for me and way outside of my comfort zone. I need to do this more often rather that sticking to the tried and true. I would not recommend this pattern for an in-experienced sewer unless the fit was perfect before you started to cut. Also, with the lack of construction instructions, some sewers may have difficulty getting it all put together.
Have a good week! I will be having a busy one with two presentations planned to two different groups. For the Seams Possible ASG group I will be presenting several ideas for techniques to try and for the Kingwood Quilt Guild Wearables group I wil be doing a presentation on the Bog Coat. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Very pretty! I think the tie at the front of the jacket really adds some extra pizz-azz. From the front at least it does not look like a "tumor" !