Sunday, April 20, 2008

Hula for the Hounds

We (Alex, Kemora, Kelis, Paul, Sandy and me) got to spend the afternoon at the spring fund raiser for Dachshund Rescue of Houston. It was held at Rover Oaks in the southern part of the city. It is a completely deluxe pet kennel that I am sure any pet would enjoy. None of our dogs have ever spent a night in a boarding facility but I am always on the lookout for one just in case! They even have huge rooms, with television and sofas, for really pampered pets or for multiple pet families.

I did not get pictures of the gathering itself but I think I can paint you a picture. Imagine about 25 humans, mostly dressed in bright surfer looks, totally besotted with about 50 or 60 dachshunds and you will have some idea what it was like. It was pretty funny when one dog would get all barky about something and then to have all the others take up the call .. sort of like the wave at a baseball game. The best part for Alex was all the good dog time he got in a very non-threatening environment. He seemed really confident and, for a while, was his old wacky self.

There was a huge lawn area for the dogs to run free in and at one point part of the yard looked like a puppy mosh pit. They even had some toddler size plastic forts with slides. I spent about twenty minutes picking up Alex and the girls so they could slide down the ramp. I'm not sure if they liked it but they kept coming back for more. I think I will look into getting one for my yard to provide them with even more outdoor fun, on top of squirrel chasing and barking at joggers. I won a ring toss game and ended up with a beautiful new collar for him and some other goodies. I also won a couple of small silent auction items. The biggest fundraiser was for heart worm treatments for some new in-takes. It was wonderful to see people donate to such a worthy cause without any hard sell. All the slots were sold out by the time I figured out what they were doing!

Once we left the dogs completely collapsed in the car but the fun was not over. Paul and I went to Barnaby's for supper. This is one of the few places anywhere that will let you bring your dog for dining on their deck. They did bark at a lot of little kids who just wouldn't stop trying to pet them (a no-no in our book without strict rules) and Alex was pretty put out at a waiter or two but all-in-all a pleasant time. They conked out in the car all the way home and have barely moved since we got home. I dessed them in their ruffs so you could see their finery. Kemora barely woke up during the picture taking she was so tired. Don't they look cute?
We just had a little walk and they are now in bed (the master bathroom tub with a doggy bed and several quilts). I don't think I will hear from them again until tomorrow morning.

And for those of you who have been curious, here is picture of Alex, without bandages, enjoying his ultra-ultra-premium dog food the other day. The wounds all seem to be healing quite nicely though I heard today that it may take a year before his fur grows back enough that people won't notice the cuts.

Have a good week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a dachsie foster person, I was glad to find your blog thru my Google Alerts. Rover Oaks does wonderful things for rescue, especially for Citizens for Animal
Protection.
Janet Huey
petstuffresale.com
petstuffresale@blogspot.com

Firefly Nights said...

Squirrel chasing and barking at joggers. Gee, that sounds familiar. It goes on all the time here, too. The fundraiser sounds like it was fun. So glad to see that Alex continues to improve.