Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Doll Quilt Swap III

Today I am sending out my entry in the third round of the Doll Quilt Swap. This time, instead of going for a new technique in miniature I went for a real basic design that I cribbed from an Indygo Junction pattern that was included in one of the silent auction items at the Kingwood Area Quilt Guild Auction. Once I finally decided on the pattern the fabric just jumped onto the cutting board in a fusion of Asian and traditional calicos. I modified the templates in the pattern so I could use the paper piecing method of construction and I think it came out pretty good. What do you think?
I had a couple of ulterior motives in using this design for an 18" x 18" quilt. Firstly I wanted to practice my paper piecing skills which had grown pretty rusty. Secondly, since I seem to be having a lot of trouble with using my walking foot, I wanted to practice stitching in the ditch along the piecing lines. Now my paper piecing skills have returned from the grave and I am confident I can successfully quilt in a grid-like fashion . I also got to practice with a wonderful thread from Superior Threads called King Tut. Almost no thread lint was created and it sewed beautifully. Although it does not have the sparkle and shine of a rayon thread, the varigated colors were wonderful and blended right in with the fabrics.

Next step... the spring version of the Four Seasons Quilt Swap which will definitely include some paper piecing and more King Tut thread. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi!

I just received this great quilt in the mail! Thank you so much for it my daughter LOVES IT! It has made a great addition to my growing collection.

Tanaya said...

I still just love this little quilt to pieces.

Have you received your quilt yet? I'm just checking in on everyone. If you could let me know, that'd be great. Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/groups/dollquiltswap/