Sunday, January 20, 2008

WIP

My current Work In Progress (WIP) comes from a class taught by Charlotte Angotti at the Houston Quilt Festival in 2002. I attended the class and made the basic quilt that was called Moon River for my mother that Christmas. The class was called 'Let Me Surprise You'. Charlotte gave us bags of little peices of fabric to assemble in a specific order. You don't know what the quilt will look like until the afternoon of the full day class.

Fast forward a few years and I am at an American Sewing Guild Retreat. I am talking to some poeple about the Charlotte class and how much I loved the final quilt. Lo and behold another woman attended a different session of that class and still had the whole quilt kit and some additional yardage... and she offered to sell it to me. I purchased her kit for a very reasonable price and went home and started to work on it. I think I spent at least 2 or 3 hours sorting the bits and pieces and actually put together two of the 30 blocks required. I put it away as another priority came up and it has sat in a very nice plastic container since then.

In my sorting and cleaning I came across the container, opened it and realised that I still loved the final quilt. In fact, it is now on my Dad's hospital bed while he is in rehab. I had promised him I would make two small quilts for the young daughters of one of his friends. The quilt kit and the promise came together and I started up again to put the quilt together as two smaller quilts.
I finished all 30 blocks the other night and here's what the pile looks like before I have squared up the blocks to the right size:
I added sashing strips to border each block and then assembled them into two similar but different quilt tops - one rectangular and one square:

The square one will have 4 of the original blocks as part of the borders. That will leave me about five blocks that I will try to incorporate into pillow cases for the girls. I have a lot of work left on these quilts as I am now making it up as I go along. I will be at another retreat this coming weekend and I should have time to get them quilted then if not completely finished.

Since I didn't start the sewing (the original owner did complete some of the work in her class) I wonder if I can count this in my UFO challenge? If I can count it, can I count it as two projects or just one as originally planned? Maybe its only a half as the original owner did do a lot of work? I guess I'll just have to figure this out when I am finished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous quilt! It's fun to work on something when someone else selects the materials -- it gives you a whole different outlook...

And, yes, I think it should count toward the UFO challenge!

Your Hot Cocoa swap partner