Wednesday, January 30, 2008

In the Mail

Received: Monday I got an unusual package in the mail. What would you think if this envelope was in your mailbox?
At first I thought it was something from a steward I met on a cruise. I had made her a large Charlotte Angotti style quilt about 3 years ago and sent it to her for her wedding n Roumania. Maybe a late acknowledgement? Imagine my surprise when I opened it and out popped this gorgeous creation:
It turns out it was from the person sending to me for the Winter installment of the Four Seasons Quilt Swap. There is incredible machine and handwork, many different fabrics and the composition is wonderful. The whole thing is only about 12" x 18" so I can hang it just about anywhere here. This swap, so far, has turned out incredibly well for me. My first quilt was from Great Britain and included many traditional quilt details. This one is completly contemporary. I love them both. I wonder what the spring entry will be?

Sent: Today I sent out my contribution to the same swap. It is a real departure for me it that it has many fussy bits is only 17" at its widest. I incorporated techniques from the Carol Taylor class and based it all on this pattern from Canada. I called it "All ends have a beginning." because I kept messing up the positioning of the triangles. I hope the person I am sending to in Indiana likes it. I see it sitting on a beautiful wooden hall or coffee table...not mine, someone else's that is clean and pristine and not burined under magazines, books, paper work or videos.

3 comments:

SMA said...

Hello Alice! I'm glad you have received my winter message and I'm very happy that you like it. I'm a beginner in quilting and I asked myself if it is on your taste.
I wish you all the best and a wonderful spring.
Sma

Emily Cole said...

They are both beautiful! Great job on yours and I hope I can find that pattern somewhere! Em

Solidia said...

I receive the quilt Alice! It is even more beautiful in person! Thanks for the nice card you sent with it as well. I have been showing off my quilt to friends and family. They are amazed at the intricate work.