Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Eve Mystery Quilt

A couple of weeks ago I joined the online Yahoo group for those of us who enjoy Mark Lipinski's humor and his quilting magazine 'Quilter's Home'. Mark is very funny on many topics and the group is very active with discussions on everything from quilting to politics. One of the group organizes on-line mystery quilt sewing sessions and today was one of those days. I decided to try it out as the colorways included a scrap version as well as a three fabric version and I have plenty of stash fabrics for either. I completely bombed and posted the following cautions and warnings at the Yahoo Message board:

Now that we have a pretty good idea what the quilt will look like, I will now share my expeience with this exercise today by posting these cautions and warnings.
1. Do not decide to do the quilt with a different color way than origianlly planned without carefully reading the quantities required - 2 yards of a lucious red does not equal three yards of a dull black.
2. Do not assume that you can substitute Light for Dark without checking your quantities of each - 1 yard of a lucious light green does not equal 2 yards of a lucious dark red.
3. Do recheck your seam allowance periodically especially if you are doing another sewing project at the same time - a 1/2" seam for a pants repair does not equal a 1/4" seam of a quilt block.
4. Do know up from down and left from right - flying geese bits do not magically change direction just because you want them to at the last step.
5. Do not expect to produce a quilt equal to the mystery one even if you are really, really good at fudging things if you do not follow the instructions precisely.
I will now try to salvage something from this exercise by randomly joining bits and pieces together in some order so I can at least say that I made a candle mat today
.

If I can get the bits and peices to fit together I will post a picture but until then I hope you and yours have a happy and healthy new year.


HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 comment: