Thursday, September 20, 2007

Swap-o-rama Rama

The Austin Maker Faire is coming up on October 20 and 21 at the the Travis County fairgrounds. I have been intrigued by this concept ever since I first learned about it last November. It looks like a lot of fun and a great way to get the creative juices going.
One part of the event is called the Swap-o-rama Rama. It is organized by Wendy Tremayne (http://www.gaiatreehouse.com/events.htm) . The concept is that you bring a bag of clean, in-season clothing to give away. You then can take whatever you want from everyone elses discards. In one video I saw on this concept it said that 5 - 7,000 pounds of clothing can be recycled at an event like this. While at the fair you can then take the clothing you have found and re-make it into something else... clothing, accessories or home dec items. There are sewing machines, threads, sergers, silk screens and designers available to help you realize your vision. Does this sound intriguing or what?
I have volunteered to help out that weekend but I will also be a willing participant. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Be on the lookout for similar events in your area as I am sure you would have a good time as well.

No comments: