Sunday, September 16, 2007

Craft Leftovers Fun

A couple of months ago I ran across the Craft Leftovers blog ( http://craftleftovers.blogspot.com/) by Kristen Roach. Since then I have received a couple of things from her in the samplers I ordered from Home of the Sampler. One was a sample of her beautifully dyed merino sock yarn and the other was a kit to make a a dish cloth. The yarn is lovely and is on my list for purchasing when I make my next pair of socks. The dish cloth really is the best I have ever had due to the use of soft cotton with a really scratchy wool. The two crocheted together in a brick stitch make a great dish cloth that holds the soap and really scarpes off the yuck on your dishes.
I like Kristen's enthusiasim for all things crafty and her innate generosity of spirit in sharing what she knows with everyone without any ego. In August she wrote a pretty sad entry about her sewing machine dying and how she would need donations in order to get another or to get it fixed. I have quite a number of sewing machines... from a 50+ year old Singer Featherweight to my latest acquisition, the Brother 4000 embroidery machine. It so happens that an older Babylock machine of mine has been waiting for a new home. I had been scouting possible placements when I read Kristen's note. She was offered a cheapy from a discount chain store that I know would have been inadequate so I offered her my Babylock. It was in great shape and offered a zillion options not on a standard machine like an automated threader and cutter.

I was happy to pass it on to someone with an entreprenurial spirit and I hope she has much success in her business and crafty desires. Besides many gracious comments from Kristen (blush, blush) she has added me to her monthly subscription list as well as some extras. In September I received:

Two Tissue holder kits
One pencil case kit
One crocheted headband kit
One dishcloth kit
One little magazine,
Ten+ buttons
Two pieces of Vintage fabric
One vintage iron-on applique
One reusable loose tea holder
Several Craft Leftovers buttons and patches WOW!
I had a lot of fun putting the kits together and then adapting my own materials to the instructions.

Here is a picture of the kits I made up using Kristen's materials including a close-up of the cute car fabric on the interior of the pencil case. The crocheted headband (bright blue) is the first one I have owned that actually has stayed on my fat head for hours at a time. The tissue holders are completely reversible. The ribbon on the pencil case was supposed to be applied straight but went a little wonky on me. Its the perfect size for my Nintendo Game Boy Advanced and DS games.

And here is a picture of my own materials with Kristen's instructions. The Headband and wash cloth are made out of varigated kitchen cotton yarn. The headband fits very well and the cloth will probably go into my shower rather than be used in the kitchen. The fabric for the tissue holders and pencil cases is a cotton lawn from Japan printed with Martini glasses that I just love and have in two color ways!And, here is a photo of all the other bits and pieces that came in the package.

The little magazine includes instructions for a fold-over style sandwich bag, a soothing tea recipe, a soothing eye pillow idea and a bunch of ideas for keeping our creativity from becoming a burden. And check out that great fabric.... what will I do with all of this?

The subscriptions go on sale on Monday and they seemed to have sold out quickly last month. If what I have described seems like something you would like to try, please keep Kristen's enterprise in mind and shop her Etsy shop for little fun kits and other stuff.

No comments: