Thursday, June 7, 2007

FLY Lady

FLY stands for Finally Loving Yourself. The FLY Lady provides strategies for those of us with a lot of guilt over the condition of their homes, their bodies and their lives. Many of us have this guilt and it manifests itself with our, generally, poor body image. This spreads to guilt about about the condition of our homes such that a lot of us are embarassed to have friends and family over without 3 or 4 days notice. We sometimes feel that our lives are out of control ... can't lose weight, can't exercise, can't get the laundry done, can't get it put away, can't get dressed, can't fill the dishwasher, can't empty the dishwasher... the list goes on and on. A couple of years ago I looked at her website (http://www.flylady.net/) and was incredibly unimpressed. I logged back into a couple of weeks ago and I thnk the FLY Lady and I can now do some business with each other.

Her message is all about control. With some control over those parts of our lives that seem out of control, we will feel better about ourselves. The first baby step in getting more control is to keep your Kitchen sink clean. I thought that was a no brainer until I really looked at my sink. There were no dishes in it but the drain looked like you could grow a whole new species in it. The faucet was spotted and one half of the double sink was full of cleaning supplies. I decided to try to work the first baby step and cleaned my sink including using bleach and stainless steel cleaner. Its been about 3 weeks now and I can say with some confidence that my kitchen sink is clean 98% of the time. Although the counters may be full of dog treats, old mail and discarded papers, my sink is clean. Step one done - yahoo!

The next step is a little more challenging - getting dressed right down to shoes the first thing every morning. This could be a tough step as I spend a lot of time in my bare feet. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Unless I am leaving the house, my shoes never go on... they come off as soon as I walk in the door!