Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Hand Embroidery Part Two

Today I had the opportunity to follow-up on the crazy quilting session I had with the Spring Branch neighborhood group back in September. Although only a couple of people completed the challenge from last time (to use the materials I had given them and make something from the bits and pieces) eight people came for the follow-up. This time they were given only a piece of muslin, a piece of 28 count Edinburough linen, a piece of cotton floss, a piece of silk floss and a couple of beads. I provided lots of scissors, embroidery hoops and needles that needed to be returned to me, the rest was for their stash.
We reviewed the prior work (stripping floss, loading needles and samples of my work) then proceeded to practice perfect french knots, easy bead stitching and laying silk threads for satin stitches. We ended up with a few minutes of discussion on how to work with even weave fabrics. I don't know if anyone else had fun but I certainly did! I enjoy passing on knowledge to others even if they only use the skills a few times. I forgot to take pictures of the completed projects from last time but they were very clever in using up most of the materials I had given them.
I will be doing a crazy quilt class for the Kingwood neighborhood group in January and I wonder if I should do the same class I did for Spring Branch or do different sitches. I will probably do the same stuff as it would be easier for me but it would be fun to add some woven stitches or complex knots. Fortunately I have a while to figure that out.

No comments: