Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Just in Time...

for the frosty mornings that are coming our way.


Yes, there are not that many when you live in Houston but there are enough that you do need some warm things to wear when walking the dogs in the morning.


My idea this year was to just stack on all the little scarves and shawls I have made lately under my quilted barn coat.   Not especially attractive but I figured it would do the trick.


Then I saw this scarf that the mighty Janetta made for her daughter in Texas A & M colors.  Then she started one in a cream, pink and lime green variegated sock yarn and I was hooked. 


The pattern is on Ravelry by a Canadian designer, Jane Richmond and is extremely inexpensive to buy.


I, on the other hand, did not buy the pattern, just read Janetta's copy, and proceeded to make a successful Rae Scarf.


Here is it wrapped around a youngish live oak in the backyard:



And here it is draped across the fence:


It came out to approximately 50" long and 12" wide at the widest point.  It's made out of Knit Picks Stroll Yarn in the color Summer Blooms Tonal.  This yarn is great to work with, extra long yardage for the weight and washes and drys up beautifully in the machines.  I had one problem with the yarn. About two thirds of the way through the scarf there was a knotted join in the yarn.  Normally that would not be a problem but at some point when I was weaving in ends I undid the knot and the scarf started to unravel!.  I tied it all back together with many, many knots  and many, many  curses.  Unless you are looking for the error, you would not find it.


Bring on the cold weather, I'm ready for you...even if the dogs are not.

No comments: