Saturday, November 10, 2007

Do You Wanna See My Scars?

Since surgery on Monday I have spent most my days in a Vicoden fog. Its a great drug but it makes a normal life almost impossible. On the TV show House, the lead character uses Vicoden like candy to combat his pain and still manages to solve great medical mysteries. I, on the other hand, couldn't seem to get the energy to shower or even change clothes without a huge effort. My days have been running like this:

  • wake up
  • check the time
  • is it AM or PM?
  • look at wounds
  • wiggle out of bed or off couch
  • feed the dogs (scatter required amount of dry food around each of their bowls)
  • water the dogs (pour water from a pitcher at the bowl and hope it makes it)
  • drink something
  • take a pill if tummy is sore from getting up and feeding and watering the dogs
  • turn on TV/PC/radio
  • snuggle down to watch movie/read e-mails/listen to NPR
  • fall alsleep
  • repeat

Paul has been a bit of a saint through all this. Although he is working extended hours, he has been here in the evening to make sure I eat something, giving the dogs some much needed loving and running errands. I sent him out on Tuesday to buy some fusible fleece for me so I could try out a couple of patterns I picked up at the Quilt Festival. I don't know what I was thinking as I didn't use it until today.

Today, I decided to stop the pain meds as this morning I actually got out of bed without yelling out in pain. As long as I don't do anything crazy, such as bend over to pick up the dogs or run the lawn mower, I can handle the occasional twinge. I actually did some sewing today and completed a swap package.

Things are returning to normal but I think I will still be taking a couple of naps every day for another week or so until my system returns to normal. I missed the neighborhood group meeting that meets the second Saturday of the month as I napped through the time I should have been showering and getting ready to go there. I had already sent my regrets and I know I couldn't have stayed awake long enough to drive to the meeting but I really missed being there.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. I will post my swap package and what I have been working on today on Sunday... if I stay awake long enough :-).

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Keep recovering... now THAT is a good son, one who will buy fusible fleece for his mom!