Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Everthing Really is Bigger in Texas!

When I first moved to Texas, about ten years ago, I was horrified at the size of the bugs I found in my yard... and sometimes in my house. Even the ants seemed twice the size as those found up north. Today I'd like to share with you three new things that seem bigger than anywhere else.

SPIDER WEBS
The picture below is of a spider web that stretches about 15 feet from a neighbor's tree to a bush in my yard. When I mow these days I first remove the spider webs with a yard broom or risk ending up with a bunch of yuck in my hair.


SNAKES
The snake below is from IKEA and I thought the dogs would enjoy it. I almost shrieked in surprise this morning when I opened the back door to find it staring at me from the back patio. I think they must like it as they seemed to be pulling it around the yard all day today.


YARN TANGLES
My current knitting project is a felting kit I won at the Yarn Harlot presentation. I thought it would be enjoyable to try out intarsia. Intarsia is a method of knitting with multiple yarns. The yarns are not carried from one area to another along the back of the work like in your old ski sweater but the yarn is wound on bobbins and each color change has its own bobbin. Not difficult to figure out... right? WRONG! It takes me an additional 5 - 10 minutes every row to untangle the mess my bobbins made. Maybe I will need to buy official yarn bobbins, rather than a cut up cardboard envelop, before I try this again.


1 comment:

Lisa said...

LOL! And a big huge Texas "EWWWWWWW!!!" to that massive spider web!